« Home | iPod Hi-Fi: My Thoughts » | Why Windows Vista Will suck » | Apple To Release Video iPod With 4-inch Display » | Apple To Release Movie Store? » | "Origami" Project Confirmed By Microsoft » | Apple Holding Out On Us? » | The Apple Store Is Back Up » | Keynote Has Officialy Ended » | Keynote Over Already? » | iPod Hi-Fi Specs » 

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mac Mini: My Thoughts

While I was at the Apple Store, I also got a chance to check out the new Mac Mini. The model I tested was the 1.66 GHz Core Duo model. The first thing I noticed while using it was how fast web browsing was. Browsing the web used to be slow on all Macs, especially the Mac Mini. It loaded pages one after another, without hesitation. All of the iLife Apps loaded and ran very well compared to the old Mac Mini; although, it was still noticeably slower than a MacBook Pro or iMac. They had Microsoft installed on the one I was using and I was surprised to find that it ran VERY slow in Rosetta. It took about a minute to load Word and there was quite a bit of lag time for text to appear. It was so slow that I wouldn't really want to use it at all. I did not get to try out Front Row, but video playback in iTunes seemed fine, despite the fact that they switched to Intel Integrated Graphics. There is not much to say about the new Mac Mini. If you are looking to buy a low cost Mac and don't plan to use any pro apps and are willing to wait for a universal version of Microsoft Office then I think you would be satisfied. I don't know of any full reviews at this time, but I will post a link if I come across one.

E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 

About me

  • I'm Daniel
  • From Texas, United States
  • I'm 14 and enjoy blogging, podcasting, and gaming. My favorite quote is: "To create a new standard it takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination. And the Macintosh, of all the machines I've ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard." Bill Gates, Chairman and Chief Software Architect, Microsoft Corporation.
My profile

Links

Newsletter


Subscribe to the Geekology newsletter and get all the latest posts emailed to you:



Geekology Podcast